20050614

Don't smoke, kids!

I admit it. I do indulge in a deathstick from time to time.

Also, I am a lousy horticulturist.

So, when my attempt to grow Devaronian chives failed, I had this small pot filled with very nice soil, and no actual plant. I planned to reuse the soil, but hadn't gotten around to it yet, and there I was
this morning with a smoldering deathstick, and instead of stubbing it out in the sand as I usually do, I stubbed it out in the pot. Why? I don't know. Because it was there? I don't know.

I went about my errands for the day, and came back maybe seven hours later because I had left the pack of deathsticks in there and wanted another one.

I noticed that the top half of the pot, which was plastic, was scorched, and even melted in places. Apparently, my deathstick hadn't been completely extinguished, and it had burned through the organic material in the potting soil.

Disgusted, I took the pot outside to dump the ashes, and that's when I discovered that it was still smoldering.

What would have happened if I had let it go overnight? Would it have kept burning? Would the pot have melted? Would there have been a fire?

Not that it would have been a huge material loss, since there isn't a great deal around here that can burn, but still... what about smoke inhalation? I don't think I could take the irony of dying from smoke inhalation as a result of careless smoking habits.

I don't care about the melted pot, but the soil is ruined, and it'll be expensive to replace, although I'm tempted to give up gardening altogether. I know, gardening isn't as bad for me as smoking, but I'm a lot better at smoking.

2 comments:

JP Burke said...

I used to sell death sticks, but I had to rethink my life and gave it up.

J. Sandstormer said...

Where'd you get the idea to do that?