20050919

On the arrest of the Emperor's nephew

I try not to pay much attention to these things, but sometimes a news story catches my eye.

Some time ago, both of the Emperor's daughters narrowly escaped arrest and received misdemeanor citations. The Emperor himself was arrested most recently for drunken piloting, long before he entered political life (he has a couple of disorderlies as well), and there is documented proof that his military obligations to the Republic were fulfilled administratively only and not in fact. His powerful (if ultimately less accomplished) father did a good job of keeping these facts from interfering with his career.

The Emperor's brother, the Viceroy Jebronius of Geonosis, has never been arrested that I know of, but his son Georgrious was accused of B&E and escaped arrest only because the victim declined to press charges. The Viceroy's daughter Nouitelle got busted a few years ago (causing her to miss her first day of work at an excellent job that was obtained solely through her family's influence, and subsequently withdrawn), and now son Jebronius E. has been arrested as well.

Nobody's perfect and Force knows I would probably have at least one substance abuse problem or conduct disorder if I were a member of that family. But next time someone starts gushing about the Palpatines and family values and lamenting the loose morals of those who do not worship at the Palpatine altar, I will ask that person how many of his or her close relatives have had to enter pleas, whether or not they feel that's reflective of their own family's values, how does that compare to the Palpatine family's prison record, and whether they think making bail is more of a family-oriented rite of passage for Empire loyalists, or for rebels and Jedi scum.

I'll grant you, some great people have been arrested too, but those arrests weren't the result of being spoiled brats.

4 comments:

J. Sandstormer said...

BTW, I don't mean to imply that the junior Palpatines are the scum of the galaxy. On the contrary, I am pointing out that they are ordinary.

Their parents are the ones who claim moral superiority over others, yet bristle when asked about their own family values.

JP Burke said...

Sure, blame the moralistic asshats who are screwing up our planet.

Mike said...

The Emperorlettes are actually kind of attractive when viewed in a certain light.

And no, I don't mean the glow from a lightsaber.

J. Sandstormer said...

The light of a pair of beer goggles?

Yeah, I know, they're cute. And I still stick my tongue out at people sometimes. It's probably not so cute at my age, though.

I can't wait until their dad dies and they write a book.

(A smart-alecky remark just suggested itself, but I'm going to stifle myself from saying anything that would end up in an FBI file.)